District Monthly Prayer – October
“I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people – for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.” 1 Timothy 2:1-2 (NIV)
- Make the verse personal
LORD, I come to YOU with my petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving for all people – [List those people that are in your area of influence] and for kings and all those in authority [Pray by name for those leaders that affect your life], that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.
- Spend time with those in your household
Plan a time to discuss the following questions:
- Who is “in authority” over you?
- Are there people in our world that you may be less inclined to pray for? Who are they?
Hands on project:
Write down the name and/or position of an authority figure in your community on a 3×5 card. [See below for examples of those people] Pick a card each meal you eat together with your family and pray for them by name. Include their families as part of your prayer. Put the card on the bottom of the pile and repeat each day for the month of October.
- Read and Pray other scriptures on praying for Those in Authority
1 Peter 2:17
- Living in Community with Those In Authority
- Send a card of encouragement to the leaders in your community letting them know that you are praying for them, no agenda – Pastor, Police Chief, Governor, Mayor, School District Superintendent, Teachers, Representatives, the President.
Be intentional to go to the property of places of authority – Police Station, Town Offices, Church, etc. – and pray while there. This could be done in your car in the parking lot. It’s not about others knowing. It’s about praying for God’s presence in that place.